Even real men will like this one!
Yield: 8 servings
Prep: 30 minutes
Bake: 30 minutes
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup fully cooked cubed ham
2 Tbsp roasted red pepper, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb asparagus, trimmed
1 refrigerated pie pastry
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup half-and-half cream
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a large skillet, cook the mushrooms, onions, ham and red pepper in oil over medium heat until mushrooms and onion are tender.
- Cut eight asparagus spears into 4-in. pieces. Cut remaining asparagus into 1-in. pieces. In a large saucepan, cook all asparagus in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5-8 minutes, drain.
- Unroll pastry into a 9-in. deep dish pie plate; flute edges.
- In a large bowl, combine the ham mixture, 1-in. asparagus pieces, flour, salt and pepper. Transfer mixture into pastry.
- In another bowl, beat eggs and cream; pour over ham mixture. Top with reserved 4-in. asparagus spears; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean and crust is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.