The trifle is a British dessert which goes back to the 18th century. English cooks would start with a dray cake and then soak it in a liquor like brandy or sherry to moisten it up a bit. The cake was then covered in custard and topped with fruit. This recipe, from our friends at the Mrs. Wages Test Kitchen, simplifies the whole process and let you use a prepared pound cake (without the booze) as a base.
While you can use purchased jam, I recommend you make the raspberry jam from fresh raspberries and Mrs. Wages® Fruit Pectin Home Jell® and use the rest of the fresh raspberries for extra flavor.
Pound Cake Trifle
Yield: 6 servings
Prep: 35 minutes
Bake: 65 minutes + cooling
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups milk
1 package (3.9 oz) instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
2 cups fresh raspberries
1 cup prepared Mrs. Wages® Raspberry Jam
Additional fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in sour cream. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 65-75 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk and pudding mix; cover and chill for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut prepared pound cake into 1-in. cubes and place half of cubes in a 2-qt. glass bowl. In a small bowl, combine raspberries and prepared Mrs. Wages® Raspberry Jam; spoon half over cake cubes. Pour half of pudding over raspberries. Top with remaining cake cubes, raspberries, and pudding. Cover and chill until serving. Top with whipped cream and raspberries.
– See more at: http://www.mrswages.com/PAGE/Pound_Cake_Trifle.aspx#sthash.S0td2Ykv.dpuf