One of my fellow contributors on the Mrs. Wages newsletter, Marissa McClellan (who writes the very excellent Food In Jars blog) shared this recipe this month. What a fun twist on a spring fruit!
Yield: 1 24-ounce jar or 2 12-ounce jars
2 pints fresh blueberries
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cinnamon stick, broken
2 star anise
6-8 black peppercorns
6-8 whole cloves
2 cardamom pods
2-3 thin slices fresh ginger
- Wash blueberries and pick over them to remove any mushy or bruised berries.
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, water, sugar and salt and bring to a boil.
- Place spices in the bottom of the jar. Fill jar with berries and top with hot pickling liquid, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Gently tap jars to dislodge any trapped air bubbles. If liquid level drops, add more to return it to 1/2 inch.
- Apply lid and ring and let jar rest until cool. Place in refrigerator and let blueberries rest for at least 48 hours before serving.