I’ve received a few really good pickle questions over the past week. Here are two:
I process about 90lbs of dill pickles each summer. I discovered Mrs Wages pickle mix a few years ago and love it! I’ve tried several of the Wages mixes. One in particular I’d like help with is the pickled mixed veggies. I’ve tried twice and both times the carrots and cauliflower turn out so mushy! I want them crisp like when you buy them in the store. What am I doing wrong?
Also, when I have extra dill pickle brine, I put up several pints of dill carrot sticks. They are so yummy!!!
And another from Pam:
Is it ok to ad the white powder (can’t think of the name) that makes pickles stay crunchy to a store bought mix?
Both good questions that deserve answers: Continue reading
A reader writes in … “Last year, I made dill pickles for the first time using Mrs. Wages product. The taste was very good but the pickles were not crisp. Is there something I need to do or add to make the pickles crispier?” Continue reading
I’ve been getting a lot of questions from canners lately. Some of them come in through the blog and others flow in via Facebook. I’ll answer them as quickly as I can and post them here.
One of my Facebook friends asks a good question about preparing cucumbers …
One of the things I love about this blog is that I get to give away all kinds of canning goodies from our friends at Mrs. Wages. This month is no exception – we have the “Perfect Pickle Sampler” to share with all of you. The package includes:
- Pickling Lime
- Pickling and Canning Salt
- Kosher Dill Pickles Quick Process Pickle Mix
- Zesty Bread & Butter Pickle Quick Process Pickle Mix
- Polish Dill Pickles Quick Process Pickle Mix
- Sweet Pickle Relish Quick Process Pickle Mix
- Bread & Butter Pickles Quick Process Pickle Mix
- Sweet Pickles Quick Process Pickle Mix
- Spicy Pickles Quick Process Pickle Mix
- Dill Pickles Quick Process Pickle Mix
- Kosher Dill Pickles Refrigerator Pickle Mix
- Filled Green Beans Refrigerator or Canning Mix
- Sweet Pickles Refrigerator Pickle Mix
- Polish Dill Pickles Refrigerator Pickle Mix
- Spicy Pickles Refrigerator Pickle Mix
- Pickled Beets Refrigerator or Canning Mix
- Pickled Vegetables Refrigerator or Canning Mix
- The Mrs. Wages Home Canning Guide and Recipes
You can enter below:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Honestly, I don’t get a lot of questions about parsnips, but Susan wrote in the other day with a good question in search of an answer:
What is your favorite way of preserving parsnips?
I do can them but do not really like the results. They taste good in soups and mashed potatoes but I would like to do more with them.
So the question is, should you can or freeze parsnips? Continue reading