I get great questions about canning and, specifically, about pickles. Susie wrote in the other day:
I process about 90lbs of dill pickles each summer. I discovered Mrs Wages pickle mix a few years ago and love it! I’ve tried several of the Wages mixes.
One in particular I’d like help with is the pickled mixed veggies. I’ve tried twice and both times the carrots and cauliflower turn out so mushy! I want them crisp like when you buy them in the store. What am I doing wrong?
Also, when I have extra dill pickle brine, I put up several pints of dill carrot sticks. They are so yummy!!!
I look forward to hearing from you!
Here’s what I sent back to her via email: Continue reading
New Pickle Product Review: Mrs. Wages® Xtra Crunch™
By Master Canner Shirley Camp, MS, LD, LDN Retired
When making pickles at home, most of us want crunchy pickles just like those in the store. Because of the high water content of cucumbers, when heated in brine, the crunchiness may be lost. Mrs. Wages® has just added a new product to their line of canning products, Mrs. Wages® Xtra Crunch™, that will put some of the crunch back into your pickles!
A reader writes in … “Last year, I made dill pickles for the first time using Mrs. Wages product. The taste was very good but the pickles were not crisp. Is there something I need to do or add to make the pickles crispier?” Continue reading
One of the things I love about this blog is that I get to give away all kinds of canning goodies from our friends at Mrs. Wages. This month is no exception – we have the “Perfect Pickle Sampler” to share with all of you. The package includes:
- Pickling Lime
- Pickling and Canning Salt
- Kosher Dill Pickles Quick Process Pickle Mix
- Zesty Bread & Butter Pickle Quick Process Pickle Mix
- Polish Dill Pickles Quick Process Pickle Mix
- Sweet Pickle Relish Quick Process Pickle Mix
- Bread & Butter Pickles Quick Process Pickle Mix
- Sweet Pickles Quick Process Pickle Mix
- Spicy Pickles Quick Process Pickle Mix
- Dill Pickles Quick Process Pickle Mix
- Kosher Dill Pickles Refrigerator Pickle Mix
- Filled Green Beans Refrigerator or Canning Mix
- Sweet Pickles Refrigerator Pickle Mix
- Polish Dill Pickles Refrigerator Pickle Mix
- Spicy Pickles Refrigerator Pickle Mix
- Pickled Beets Refrigerator or Canning Mix
- Pickled Vegetables Refrigerator or Canning Mix
- The Mrs. Wages Home Canning Guide and Recipes
You can enter below:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
I’ve helped Mrs. Wages produce a series of instructional videos. This one features Mrs. Wages’ Forest Berry Pie Filling. Let me know what you think of the video in the comments section below ….
You can subscribe to the Mrs. Wages Channel on YouTube here.